Thursday, May 10, 2007

Development Diary #6


-Wednesday May 9th-

Today was another productive day, I spent the afternoon in Walnut Way taking pictures and video with the assistance from Elias. We took a personal tour of the house and somehow ended in the attic and came across a huge collection of vintage jazz records and books left by the previous owners of the house, everything was good until I hit my head with the ceiling coming down the stairs (ouch!!).

After that, I went to the Central Library downtown and spent the rest of the evening (until they kicked me out) in the Humanities Department. There I found 3 documents that called my interest. Two of them were maps of Milwaukee from 1909 & 1910 (notice the lot each year) and the other was a document that explained the migration from African-Americans to Milwaukee per decade (late 19th & early 20th century). The latter confused me a bit because to my
understanding the owner of the house (Mrs. Barnett) was African-American and the document stated that that part of Milwaukee wasn't populated with African-Americans till 1930 and according to my records it shows that she owned the house as early as 1919. Nothing a little more investigation can clear up, tomorrow or Friday I'll be visiting the library to look at the census taken those years to uncover this mystery. I'll keep you posted!


No comments: